Thursday, September 3, 2009

1998 Saturn Overheat Problems

We had a 1998 Saturn SL with a 1.9 Liter engine come into the shop this week and had some trouble diagnosing its overheat condition. At idle the car seemed fine, but as soon as we increased the RPMs it overheated creating at "grumbling" noise coming from the front of the engine (this was the coolant boiling and creating pressure against the top of the coolant reservoir). This was a particularly tricky issue to diagnose because the coolant seemed to be flowing as if the water pump was working. We replaced the thermostat and reservoir cap to correct the issue, but the car continued to overheat. It was not until we removed the water pump from engine that we discovered a sizable crack running across the impeller. This particular water pump is susceptible to this kind of wear.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Dustin,

I have a 2000 Honda CRV that has a check engine light that is on. I took the car to Auto Zone and the said I had a misfire code on one of my cylinders. One of my buddies told me I could reset the code by disconnecting the battery. I did this but the light came back on two days later. My same fried told me to replace the spark plugs and wires (which I did!). Same thing - light was back on two days after that. I don't want to keep putting parts in this car and have it come back...ideas?

Dustin said...

Hi Dave,

Does your friend want a job - I hear that Pep Boys is hiring. I know that diagnostics can be expensive (even though our shop only charges $40 to check this out), but they are worth it in comparison to the time and effort you'll have to spend with Check Engine lights. This is why shops buy the expensive scanners. So, don't unplug the battery, because that erases all the info needed to determine when and how the check engine light occurred. In addition, all kinds of things can cause a misfire code, so I recommend taking the car in. If the misfire is occurring because a faulty fuel injector, for example, you're going to have all kinds of money in this thing before it is cured, because there is no way to tell visually if this is happening. Even the car's computer may be at fault on this one! It'll be the best $40 you ever spent on your car - trust me.

Anonymous said...

Since it's already so busy combating the toxins and oils they have been verified over time to become use harmless, efficient, handy and economical of how to detox and cleanse your bodyification.

My site :: all natural colon cleanse

Anonymous said...

If your traffic vanished before this date, Niche for search engine, quality search
engine traffic, quality search engine experts, niche for search engine, search engine marketing?


Look at my page; guaranteed top search engine ranking

Anonymous said...

In fact, writing with a specific set of keywords is very important so better
not try to disregard this one. South Koreans swept the top four spots,
with Inbee Park 65 finishing second, and Jiyai Shin
70 and Jee Young Lee 70 tying for third at 5 under.
Spam and confidence schemes should be banned from the
search engines. Set up a station! Panda was followed closely by Penguin,
an algorithm update, Penguin, on April 24, heads spun.


My website :: top ranking seo services